Powell River's first year university studies program is designed to provide students with a rewarding and engaging first year experience, in preparation for further academic study.
Students may receive transfer credit for these courses at any of the colleges or universities in the provinces. Students can check transfer credit at www.bccat.bc.ca.
Students who would like to take distance education courses through other post-secondary institutions can meet with an advisor to discuss their options.The Powell River campus of VIU can provide access to the computer labs and student support services. For more information, or to contact about these services, please visit an advisor for details.
Students may go on to complete a degree at Vancouver Island University or at other universities. These courses could be part of programs leading to a Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Social Work, Bachelor of Child & Youth Care, Bachelor of Elementary Education, and Bachelor of Liberal Studies. Elective courses can be taken towards Bachelor of Science in Nursing, Bachelor of Science and other diplomas and degrees.
Classes begin in September and January.
No application deadline date, however register early as space is limited
Canadian citizens and those with permanent residence status in Canada are eligible for admission to University programs if they meet one of the following conditions:
- Graduation from a B.C. secondary school, or equivalent, with a minimum “C” grade in English 12 or equivalent*;
- Previous degree from a recognized university;
- Visiting student from a College or University (a “Letter of Permission” from the home institution is required);
- Transfer student from a College or University (at least 24 transferable university-level credits completed);
- Mature student – at least 21 years of age (or will turn 21 in the first semester of admission) and has a minimum “C” grade in English 12 or equivalent*.
- Unclassified Student - students who do not meet any of the admission categories above may be admitted as an “Unclassified Student” and register in classes for which they meet the prerequisite. Unclassified students are not eligible for "Continuing Student" status and must reapply each academic year into which they would like to register.
Subject to change: please check back for more updates.
Are you interested in specific university-level Math, Science, or other course that we don't currently offer? If so, please contact us to start an interest list for possible course delivery if/when minimum numbers are met.
|Tuition (per 3 credit course)||
|Student Fees (per semester)||
|* Audit Option (non-credit)|
|* Seniors Age Exemption|
- Required textbooks (approx. per course): $120.00
Financial Assistance may be available to students demonstrating financial need. This program is government student loan eligible. Applications for the academic year are available each June online at www.aved.gov.bc.ca/studentaidbc/ or at Vancouver Island University.
Click here for more information about funding sources available to students.
Are you studying part time? If so, you may be eligible for a Part-Time Studies Grant: see an advisor for details.